Birth of Ishmael
(1) Sarai, Abram’s wife, was unable to give him any children. She had a handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.
(2) So Sarai said to Abram, "Behold now, the LORD has restrained me from bearing children. I ask that you go in to my maid, so maybe I might obtain children by her." And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai.
(3) After Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar, her Egyptian maid, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.
(4) And he went in to Hagar, and she conceived. And when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.
(5) Sarai then said to Abram, "My wrong is on you. I gave my maid to your bosom, and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes. The LORD judge between me and you."
Abram Turned Hagar Over to Sari
(6) Abram said to Sarai, "Behold, your maid is in your hand; do to her as it pleases you." And when Sarai dealt harshly with her, she fled from her.
(7) And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain on the way to Shur.
(8) And he said, Hagar, Sarai’s maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.
(9) The angel of the LORD said to her, "Return to your mistress, and submit yourself to her."
The Angel of the LORD’s Promise
(10) Then the angel of the LORD said to her, "I will multiply your descendants exceedingly, so that they cannot be numbered for their multitude."
(11) And the angel of the LORD said to her, "Behold, you are with child, and shall bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael, because the LORD has heard your affliction.
Ishmael Will be a Wild Man
(12) He will be a wild man. His hand will be against every man, and every man’s hand against him, and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren."
(13) She called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, "God you see me." For she said, "Have I also here looked at him that sees me?"
(14) Therefore the well was called Beerlahairoi. Behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.
(15) And Hagar gave birth to Abram’s son, and Abram called his son’s name, whom Hagar gave birth to, Ishmael.
(16) And Abram was 86 years old, when Hagar gave birth to Ishmael by Abram.