The LORD Came to Abram in a Vision
(1) After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not fear, Abram. I am your shield, and your exceedingly great reward."
God’s Covenant With Abram
(6) He believed in the LORD, and he counted it to him for righteousness.
(7) And he said to him, "I am the LORD that brought you out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give you this land to inherit it."
God’s Confirmation of His Promise
(9) And he said to him, "Bring me a heifer three years old, a she goat three years old, a ram three years old, a turtledove, and a young pigeon."
(10) He took all these to him, and divided them in the middle, and laid each piece one against another, but the birds he did not divide.
(12) Then when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell on Abram, and behold, a horror of great darkness fell upon him.
Captivity of Abram’s Descendants
(15) And you shall go to your fathers in peace. You shall be buried at a good old age.
17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.
God Gives Abram Land
(18) In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, "To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the River Euphrates.
(19) The Kenites, the Kenizzites, the Kadmonites,
(20) the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaims,
(21) the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites, and the Jebusites."