Jacob Journeys to Egypt
(1) So Israel set out on his journey with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.
(2) And God spoke to Israel in the visions of the night, and said, "Jacob, Jacob." And he said, "Here I am."
(3) Then he said, "I am God, the God of your father, do not fear to go down into Egypt, for there I will make of you a great nation.
(4) I will go down with you into Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again, and Joseph shall put his hand on your eyes."
(5) Then Jacob rose up and departed from Beersheba, and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their father, and their little ones, and their wives, in the wagons which Pharaoh had sent to carry him.
(6) They took their cattle, and their goods, which they had gotten in the land of Canaan, and went to Egypt, Jacob, and all his descendants with him.
(7) His sons, and his sons' sons with him, his daughters, and his sons' daughters, and all his descendants he brought with him to Egypt.
Names of the Children of Israel That Went into Egypt
(8) These are the names of the children of Israel, who went to Egypt, Jacob and his sons: Reuben, Jacob’s firstborn.
(9) The sons of Reuben: Hanoch, Phallu, Hezron, and Carmi.
(10) The sons of Simeon: Jemuel, Jamin, Ohad, Jachin, Zohar, and Shaul the son of a Canaanite woman.
(11) The sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
(12) The sons of Judah: Er, Onan, Shelah, Pharez, and Zerah, but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan. The sons of Pharez were Hezron and Hamul.
(13) The sons of Issachar: Tola, Phuvah, Job, and Shimron.
(14) The sons of Zebulun: Sered, Elon, and Jahleel.
(15) These are the sons of Leah, whom she bore to Jacob in Padanaram, with his daughter Dinah. All the souls of his sons and his daughters were 33.
(16) The sons of Gad: Ziphion, Haggi, Shuni, Ezbon, Eri, Arodi, and Areli.
(17) The sons of Asher: Jimnah, Ishuah, Isui, Beriah, and Serah their sister. The sons of Beriah: Heber, and Malchiel.
(18) These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter, and these she bore to Jacob, 16 souls.
(19) The sons of Rachel Jacob’s wife: Joseph, and Benjamin.
(20) And to Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, whom Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bore to him.
(21) The sons of Benjamin were Belah, Becher, Ashbel, Gera, Naaman, Ehi, Rosh, Muppim, Huppim, and Ard.
(22) These are the sons of Rachel, who were born to Jacob. All the souls were 14.
(23) The sons of Dan: Hushim.
(24) The sons of Naphtali: Jahzeel, Guni, Jezer, and Shillem.
(25) These are the sons of Bilhah, whom Laban gave to Rachel his daughter, and she bore these to Jacob. All the souls were seven.
(26) All the souls that came with Jacob to Egypt, who came out of his body, besides Jacob’s sons' wives, all the souls were 66.
(27) The sons of Joseph, who were born to him in Egypt, were two souls. All the souls of the house of Jacob, who went to Egypt, were 70.
Joseph Meets Jacob
(28) And he sent Judah before him to Joseph, to direct him to Goshen, and they came to the land of Goshen.
(29) Joseph prepared his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father in Goshen, and presented himself to him, and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while.
(30) Then Israel said to Joseph, "Now let me die, since I have seen your face, because you are still alive."
(31) Joseph said to his brothers, and to his father’s household, "I will go up, and tell Pharaoh, and say to him, 'My brothers, and my father’s household, who were in the land of Canaan, have come to me.
(32) The men are shepherds, for their trade has been to feed cattle, and they have brought their flocks, and their herds, and all that they have.'
(33) And it shall come to pass, when Pharaoh calls you, and says, 'What is your occupation?'
(34) Then YOU shall say, 'Your servants' trade has been with cattle from our youth even until now, both we, and also our fathers,' that YOU may dwell in the land of Goshen, for every shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians."