Dinah Defiled By Shechem
(1) Now Dinah the daughter of Leah, whom she bore to Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.
(2) When Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he took her, and lay with her, and defiled her.
(3) And his soul clung to Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the young woman, and spoke kindly to her.
(4) Shechem spoke to his father Hamor, saying, "Get me this young woman for my wife."
(5) Jacob heard that Shechem had defiled Dinah his daughter. Now his sons were with his cattle in the field, and Jacob held his peace until they came.
Hamor, Shechem’s Father Speaks to Jacob
(6) Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to speak with him.
(7) And the sons of Jacob came out of the field when they heard of it, and the men were grieved, and they were very angry, because he had commited a disgraceful act in Israel by lying with Jacob’s daughter, a thing which ought not to be done.
(8) And Hamor spoke with them, saying, "The soul of my son Shechem longs for your daughter. Please give her to him to be his wife.
(9) Make marriages with us. YOU give your daughters to us, and take our daughters to yourselves.
(10) YOU shall dwell with us, and the land shall be before you. Dwell and trade in it, and get yourselves possessions in it."
(11) Shechem said to her father and to her brothers, "Let me find grace in your eyes, and what YOU shall say to me I will give.
(12) Ask me for exceedingly much dowry and gift, and I will give according as YOU shall say to me, but give me the young woman for my wife."
Sons of Jacob Plan Revenge
(13) The sons of Jacob deceitfully answered Shechem and Hamor his father, because he had defiled Dinah their sister.
(14) And they said to them, "We cannot do this thing, to give our sister to one that is uncircumcised, for that would be shameful to us.
(15) Only on this condition will we consent to you. If YOU will be as we are, that every male of you is circumcised.
(16) Then we will give our daughters to you, and we will take your daughters to us, and we will dwell with you, and we will become one people.
(17) But if YOU will not listen to us and be circumcised, then we will take our daughter, and we will be gone."
18 And their words pleased Hamor, and Shechem Hamor’s son.
Hamor and Shechem Agree That Thier Men Will Be Circumcised
(19) The young man did not delay to do the thing, because he delighted in Jacob’s daughter. He was more honorable than all the house of his father.
(20) Hamor and Shechem his son went to the gate of their city, and spoke with the men of their city, saying,
(21) "These men are peaceful with us. Therefore let them dwell in the land, and trade in it, for behold, the land is large enough for them. Let us take their daughters to us for wives, and let us give them our daughters.
(22) Only on this condition will the men consent to dwell with us, to be one people, if every male among us is circumcised, as they are circumcised.
(23) Will not their cattle and their possessions and every animal of theirs be ours? Only let us consent to them, and they will dwell with us."
(24) And all who went out of the gate of his city listened to Hamor and to Shechem his son, and every male was circumcised, all that went out of the gate of his city.
Simeon and Levi Killed All the Males
(25) It came to pass on the third day, when they were sore, that two of the sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah’s brothers, each took his sword, and came into the city boldly, and killed all the males.
(26) And they killed Hamor and Shechem his son with the edge of the sword, and took Dinah out of Shechem’s house, and went out.
(27) The sons of Jacob came upon the slain, and plundered the city, because they had defiled their sister.
(28) They took their sheep, and their oxen, and their donkeys, and that which was in the city, and that which was in the field,
(29) and all their wealth. All their little ones, and their wives they took captive, and even plundered all that was in the house.
(30) Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, "YOU have troubled me by making me stink among the inhabitants of the land, among the Canaanites and the Perizzites. I am few in number. They shall gather themselves together against me, and kill me. And I shall be destroyed, I and my house."
(31) And they said, "Should he deal with our sister as with a harlot?"