Abraham Tells Abimelech Sarah Is His Sister
(1) Abraham journeyed from there toward the south country, and settled between Kadesh and Shur, and dwelt in Gerar.
(2) And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, "She is my sister." Then Abimelech king of Gerar sent for and took Sarah.
(3) But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, "Behold, you are a dead man, because of the woman who you have taken. For she is a man’s wife."
(4) But Abimelech had not come near her, and he said, "Lord, will you also kill a righteous nation?
(5) Did he not say to me, 'She is my sister?' And even she herself said, 'He is my brother.' In the integrity of my heart and innocence of my hands I have done this."
(6) And God said to him in a dream, "Indeed, I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart. For I also withheld you from sinning against me. Therefore, I did not permit you to touch her.
God Commands Abimelech to Return Sarah To Abraham
(7) Now therefore, restore the man his wife. For he is a prophet, and he shall pray for you, and you shall live. But if you do not restore her, know that you shall surely die, you, and all that are yours."
(8) Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told them all these things, and the men were very afraid.
(9) Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said to him, "What have you done to us? And how have I offended you, that you have brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? You have done deeds to me that ought not to be done."
(10) And Abimelech said to Abraham, "What did you see, that caused you to do this thing?"
(11) Abraham answered, "Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place, and they will kill me for my wife’s sake.
(12) Yet indeed she is my sister. She is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother, and she became my wife.
(13) And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father’s house, that I said to her, 'This is your kindness that you shall do for me, at every place we shall go, say of me, 'He is my brother.''"
Abimelech Gave Abraham Sheep, Oxen, Servants and Sarah
(14) Then Abimelech took sheep, oxen, menservants, and womenservants, and gave them to Abraham, and restored to him his wife Sarah.
(15) And Abimelech said, "Behold, my land is before you. Dwell where it pleases you."
(16) To Sarah he said, "Behold, I have given your brother a thousand pieces of silver. This is your covering of the eyes, to all that are with you, and with all others." Thus she was reproved.